Liquor opposed - by Mike Addelman
Beckenham & Penge News Shopper , 1 November 2000
THE scale of opposition to the liquor licence application for the multi-million pound development at Crystal Palace has forced magistrates to delay the hearing.
Campaigners are now to challenge the developers on November 27 and 28, six months later than planned, in the latest round of a one-and-a-halfyear campaign against the project.
Dozens of residents wrote to Bromley Magistrates' Court offering themselves as witnesses against the application for 14 licence applications. The Crystal Palace Campaign has paid for lawyers who will represent them at the hearing.
The development was given the go ahead by councillors last month and will bring a multiplex cinema, shops, exhibition centre and restaurants to the historic site.
But campaigners say the development will be ugly, cause traffic and noise pollution and ruin the atmosphere of historic Crystal Palace Park. Mayor of London, Ken Livingstone, has also supported the campaign against the development. Former BBC journalist Fred Emery, from the Crystal Palace CamPaign, said: "We don't want the multiplex to become a drink-driving den.
"There is already a night scene in the area and granting more licences will make things worse."
But Councillor Chris Maines, leader of the controlling Liberal Democrats, said the project would add a lot to the area.
He said: "The development has widespread local support."
The developers behind the scheme, London and Regional Properties, confirmed they were making the applications but would not comment on them until after the hearing.
Last updated 17/11/01