Crystal Palace Museum
Crystal Palace Foundation
Alexandra Palace
Mudchute Park and Farm
Mr Kai
'O Sole Mio
The Royal Opera House
Dulwich Picture Gallery

The Crystal Palace Museum - "Dedicated to the Crystal palace and it's history".

West view Crystal Palace Museum
(Sept 2006)

view from the south of the Sydenham Crystal Palace

The Crystal Palace Museum is an independent charitable trust and is staffed entirely by volunteers.
It is sited at the top of Anerley Hill on the south side of the original site in the only remaining building, formerly the Engineering School - see

It tells the story of the Crystal Palace with displays and exhibits including numerous photographs and artifacts of the great building and the events that took place there.


More information......

Crystal Palace Foundation


Top of page


Alexandra Palace - North London

The Alexandra Palace is situated in Wood Green, London N22. It has a history which has uncanny parallels with that of Crystal Palace and is called "The Palace of the People" in their literature.
Click here for a
history of Alexandra Palace. More information and video... contact the Crystal Palace Museum or the contacts on their website link given in the attached History page.
Top of page

Mudchute Park and Farm

The Peace of the Countryside in the city! Admission Free.
Pier Street, Isle of Dogs, London E14 9HP

More information from
Riding Centre and School; 0171 - 515 0749
The Shop;
Cafe; 0171 - 515 2911
Education Centre; 0171 - 515 5901

The Mudchute Story

The Mudchute, with its steep grassy banks, wooded glades, grazing fields, hills and hollows is an oasis of wild and natural beauty situated in an urban environment. So how did such an unusual and exciting place develop in such a strange setting?

The Mudchute was originally created during the last century. The spoil from the construction of Millwall Dock was dumped onto nearby land. Later, when the dock was completed, the silt which had accumulated in it was pumped away. The spoil and the silt together formed an area the locals referred to as "The Mudchute". With time, a wild habitat developed and this became a magnet for local youngsters to explore, even though the public were not officially allowed access to the land. Many of the older residents on the Isle of Dogs still speak of the illicit adventures they had as children on "The Mudchute".

For decades this hidden natural wilderness of flora and fauna remained untouched. However, in 1974, the site was earmarked by the Greater London Council for the construction of a high rise estate.

The resulting public campaign against these plans reflected the affection that local people and those working on the Island felt for The Mudchute. Their success secured it as the "Peoples Park" for the area.

In 1977, The Mudchute Association was formed to preserve and develop the area. Farm animals and horses were introduced and the educational benefits of the area were also recognised. Local schools were encouraged to use the project to study the natural world on their doorsteps. Since the establishment of the association, The Mudchute has steadily built a reputation for providing a variety of educational and leisure activities on a London-wide basis.

Find Mudchute:

Top of page

Mr Kai Peking Cuisine
11 Central Hill,
Crystal Palace SE19 1BG

- the best crispy duck this side of the river!

One of the area's many excellent restaurants
0181 - 766 7660
0181 - 670 6384




Top of page

The local area is lucky to be endowed with so many excellent restaurants. And many support the Campaign since they will suffer the competition of 9 huge restaurants in the proposed multiplex.


7 Croxted Rd., West Dulwich, London SE21
Tel: 0181 - 670 4444

199-203 High Street, Beckenham
Tel: 0181 - 650 4848

136-138 Wickham Road, Shirley
Tel: 0208 - 654 5622

Top of page

Picture Palace has helped the Campaign on a number of occassions by donating and framing prints.

The Royal Opera House


2/12/99 Last updated 2/12/99

Top of page

Dulwich Picture Gallery- is closed for refurbishment and new building and will reopen during Museums Month on 25 May 2000.

List of coming exhibitions and an atmospheric painting of the gallery interior by J M Gandy 1823.

See also their website: www.dulwichpicturegallery.org.uk
The picture opposite is what it looked like "before" - we'll have to wait and see what the "after" is.

The architect of the original building was Sir John Soane (1753 - 1837). It was one of the first purpose built picture galleries in Britain and offered him the opportunity to design with extreme originality. The foundations were laid on 12 October 1811 and the building was completed early in 1813 at a cost of £9778*.

Notes from the booklet produced by the gallery** - written by Giles Waterfield and designed by Barry Viney.


*£470,000 at yr. 2000 values (my best estimate-but seems low!)
**undated, but before 'phone nos. changed e.g. London 01-numbers are given.

Top of Page; Return to Links Index

30/7/99 Last updated: 2/12/99
17/01/00 - 'O Sole Mio added
7/4/00 - added new CPF committee names;10/7/00;27/07/00;8/10/01;11/10/01 minor formatting; 11/10/2006